tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 16 08:33:24 1996

Re: PK opening scene question

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996 05:18:54 -0700 "Mark J. Reed"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> tlhIngan:	tugh.  Su'.  bIje'be'chugh, vaj bIHegh.  quvwIj DatIchpu',
> 		tera'ngan.  bIyIntaH 'e' ?????(2)

> 2.  Sounds like <taQoQIpe'>; I would expect, given the apparent
>     sentence-as-object construction, a verbal prefix that takes an object, so
>     the {ta-} could be a {Da-} (but its closer to {da} in pronunciation);
>     similarly, the {-pe'} could be a {-be'} suffix, the {Q}s could both be
>     {q}s, and the vowels might be off (/u/ instead of /o/, for instance).  Even
>     taking all of those variations account, I can find nothing that makes
>     sense.  Help!

I asked Okrand about this specific word at qep'a' wejDIch,
since I have long suspected that this word means "deserve"
and he is indeed saying, {bIyIntaH 'e' DaXbe'}, "You do not
deserve to continue to live."

Okrand didn't remember.

That has to be okay. Perhaps the word will show up on the
MSN site as a new word, by and by. Otherwise what you heard
is what we get, and I listened to that sentence a LOT of
times and could never figure out what he was supposed to be
pronouncing. Okrand forgot. And if he doesn't bring the
word back somewhere else, then the word is lost.

Okrand apparently does not have a single word list. He
writes things on paper. (Eeeeeeeew!). I offered him a copy
of my AKD as an aid to help him keep track of the words he
has already created.

It was like offering God a copy of the Commandments, just
to remind him, since He obviously has a lot on His mind.

Anyway, I have no ongoing link to Okrand and have received
no indication whether he found my AKD to be useful, or even
moderately acceptable, so my accumulated coolness factors
for this coup are limited. I can only dream that all those
hours tracking all this stuff has finally served the
mission beyond my own personal use.

In my fantasies, he uses the AKD, compares it to his many
pieces of paper, scribbles in the words I missed or never
heard about, etc. In my WILDEST fantasies, he gets back to
me to add more words. Meanwhile, I don't put a lot of stock
in my WILDEST fantasies. In my WILDEST fantasies, I can
fly.

> Anyway, any help with the missing word would be appreciated; other comments
> welcome.

pItlh.

> -marqoS

charghwI'