tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 14:28:04 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol chu' jIH

qaSDI' 96-08-15 12:38:21 EDT, jatlh ~mark:

> I *think* there's some evidence of using direct-object prefixes for
>  indirect objects in other cases, at least with certain verbs.  It might be
>  what's going on with verbs of speaking, though that's unclear (ask
>  SuStel).  You're right that "jIHvaD yIghItlhneS" is certainly more clear
>  and correct; there may be some support for "?HIghItlhneS" as a
>  colloquialism.

In Power Klingon, we hear {'avwI'vaD jatlh qama' jIghung}.  Now, if we to
suppose a colloquialism in use here, then I imagine I could say ~{'avwI jatlh
qama' jIghung}.  But I just see this as either "The prisoner speaks guard 'I
am hungry'" or "The prisoner says guard 'I am hungry.'"  Neither one makes
much sense to me, although I would be able to figure it out.

I really think the exact glosses are very important for three words: {jatlh},
{ja'}, and {tlhob}.  Two of these Okrand felt he needed to clarify in the
Addendum.  I wouldn't say ~{qajatlh} for "I speak to you," because it really
says "I speak you" (as if "you" referred to a language).  But if one sticks
exactly to these glosses, one should get the right result.  Some examples:

{jIDoy' Saja'} "I tell you (pl) I am tired."  NOT ~{jIDoy' Sajatlh}.  To use
{jatlh}, you'd have to say {tlhIHvaD jIjatlh jIDoy'} or {jIDoy' tlhIHvaD
jIjatlh}.

{Dotlhmaj vIja'} "I report our status."  For this gloss, {ja'} seems to take
an object: that which is being reported.  Perhaps you can stick quoted
material on this as well.  I don't know.

{wej mu' vIjatlhlI'} "I am saying three words."  NOT ~{wej mu' vIja'lI'}
(although this one has a believable translation).

{ghorgh mamej nutlhob} or {nutlhob ghorgh mamej} "They ask us 'When do we
leave?'", NOT ~{ghorgh mamej lutlhob}.  I *might* believe {maHvaD ghorgh
mamej lutlhob}, but you'd have to bring out a very convincing argument.

toH!  jIghungchoH jIQubtaHvIS.  DaH jISop.

SuStel
Stardate 96623.9

Back to archive top level