tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 12:50:39 1996

result of verb?

  As a sort of exercise, I'm attempting to translate some random
  sections of random documents, and I have run into a problem
  _again_.  Quite likely it's due to the fact that matlh has not
  given us a _complete_ tlhIngan Hol grammar and vocabulary, but
  it's still annoying.

  What I need is some way of indicating the product/result of a
  verb - for example "evaluate (v)" -> "evaluation (n)".  Using
  the -wI' suffix is clearly not correct; that would give me
  "evaluator (n)".

  The context is approximately "I have examined the information
  you have provided; my evaluation is that...".  I had
  considered other words, but the best match that I could find
  was "opinion", which didn't feel right, as there is less of an
  implication that the information affected the
  opinion/evaluation.  (The actual context is an attempt to
  translate the title and first few paragraphs of the first
  chapter of Sun Tzu; the title in question is "Estimates" in
  the sense of evaluations.)

  The same construction could also be useful in the context of
  administrative forms - for example, the last box on a
  personnel review form in the civil service (usually titled
  something like "Evaluation").

  Advice, please?

Jeff Zeitlin                                      [email protected]
---
 � OLXWin 1.00b � What is it like to feel pain?

Back to archive top level