tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 13 03:44:10 1996

Re: PK opening scene question

chojangmo' qatlho.

<[email protected]>vo':
\ qaSDI' 96-08-12 08:18:53 EDT, jatlh marqoS:
\
\ ["Power Klingon" ghu' wa'DIch DellI']
\
\ >  tera'ngan:	bISaHbe'?  qatlh vIjatlh(1)?  chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH!
\
\ I believe (after just listening to it now) that he says {qatlh bIjatlh}, for
\ "Why do you say that?"  If true, then it means that {jatlh} would never use
\ {'e'} as an object, even when spanning sentences.  It might also indicate
\ that {jatlh} can be used with indirect quotes.  And finally, it gives a bit
\ of confirmation to my ideas on how verbs of speaking work (yes, I know I keep
\ going on about this).
I dunno; given the flavor of the rest of the translation, I would have
expected {qatlh Dochvetlh Dajatlh}.  {qatlh bIjatlh} comes out as
"Why are you speaking?"

\
\ >  tlhIngan:	tugh.  Su'.  bIje'be'chugh, vaj bIHegh.  quvwIj DatIchpu',
\ >  		tera'ngan.  bIyIntaH 'e' ?????(2)
\
\ Actually, he said {SSS} (more or less), but this is apparently just a
\ corruption of {Su'}.
Right.  I transcribed it as {Su'} since that is the meaning.

\
\ Some people asked Marc Okrand about this sentence at the qep'a', but we
\ couldn't get him to remember the scene.  It seems that no one knows what the
\ Klingon said!
Oh.  Oh, well.  :)

\
\ >  tera'ngan:	yIjotmoH!(3)
\
\ He definitely says {yIjotchoH}.
Yes, as I confirmed when I found my notes last night.  That makes much more
sense.

\
\ >  tera'ngan:	<drawing phaser>  Dochvetlh yItlhap!
\
\ Yes, this line is pretty bad.  It obviously should be {vItlhap}, and the
\ pronunciation is terrible.
No, I don't see that it should be {vI-}.  I interpret it as "Take that!",
a phrase often uttered by English speakers when they are about to deliver
some punishment to someone - although I'm surprised that he bothered,
in the heat of the moment, to translate it. :)

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed                     |
Email: [email protected]	         |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level