tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 12 06:57:05 1996

re: Klingon meetings

>[email protected] writes:
>\ >"Encha"?  What were you trying to say?  The only thing I can find that fits
>\ that
>\ >phonetic pattern is {'engchaj} "their cloud".
>\
>\ This "Encha" reminds me of a word used on "DS9 - The Way the Warrior".  In
>\ HolQeD Vol. 4, No. 4, quotes Dax as saying, as Martok sends the Klingon
fleet
>\ off, "He sent a message to the Klingon fleet, it was just one word -
IN'CHA".
>\  Worf (translating) "Begin".  The novel renders this as "N'cha."

What is interesting is that in another DS9 episode,  I have a reference for
"'e'cha".   The note I have from whoever catalogued this
is:
   "Dax says this to Worf at the end of a flirtatious batlh'etlh lessons.
Sounds WAYYY too much like ''Gotcha'' which would have been appropriate .
Meaning uncertain."

Granted that this word is not in the TKD, we could speculate that
the meaning is "enough!", so that in the Dax/Worf context it
means "I'm done", and in the Martok setting it means "We've had
enough - begin the battle!".

-

   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
  mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
   http://pages.prodigy.com/mrklingon * [email protected]