tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 09 05:56:15 1996

KLBC: Bible translation

pabpo'pu'vaD SaghItlhneS:
    tlhIngan Hol wIHaD jIH vavwI' je
    loQ tlhIngan Hol wIghojmo', vay' wImugh wIneH
    wItaghDI', *yo'a'neS* paq wIlo'
    wImughbogh yInuDneS

My Dear Grammarians:
     My father and I are both studying Klingon.  Having learned a little, we
wanted to try translating something.  We started with the book of John.  Would
you be so kind as to check our work?
     The English is my own "Klingon-friendly" translation from the Greek.

John 1
{1} When it began, the word was, and the word was in the place
near God, and the word was identical to God.
taghDI' mu' tu'lu'taH
'ej joH'a' retlhDaq
'ej joH'a' nIbtaH mu'

{2} He was with God when it began.
joH'a'Daq ghaH tu'lu'taH taghDI'

{3} Through him everything was made; if he made it not, never was
anything made.
ghaHmo' Hoch chenchoHmoHlu'ta'
'oH chenchoHmoHbe'chugh ghaH not vay' chenchoHmoHlu'ta'

{4} Life was found in him, and for men the life acted as light.
ghaHDaq yIn tu'lu'ta'
'ej yoqpu' wovwI' Da' yIn

{5} The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not
[understood | overcome] it.
HurghwI'Daq boch yIn
'ach 'oH [yajbe' | jeybe'] HurghwI'

{6} From the place near God, a man was sent; he was named John.
joH'a' retlhDaqvo' yoq ngeHlu'
*yo'a'neS* pong ghaH

That's as far as we've gotten.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |