tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 06 14:01:41 1996

Re: baS tuj pe'wI'

>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 05:55:49 -0700
>From: "A.Appleyard" <[email protected]>

>  # = by A.Appleyard.
>  % = by "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]>

># ... In that case, it was hydrogen, as acetylene cylinders must always be
># kept valve up (see any industrial gases safety manual).
>% ... Uuuh, what does valve position have to do with anything?
>vaj <wood chips soaked in acetone> ngaS <acetylene> ngaSwI'mey. 'ej ngaSwI'vo'
>nargh <acetone>vetlh, DungDaq 'oHbe'chugh ngaSwI'<valve>.

Maybe "'uy" for "compress"?

>% "... hotter and faster"?  If so, you're conjoining the verbs "tuj" and
>% "<be_fast>" with a noun conjunction "je".  If not, I don't understand what
>% the "je" is doing there.
>  TKD section 6.6 translates {A Q law' B Q puS} (A is Q'er than B) as "A's Q
>is many, B's Q is few". Here the verb Q seems to be treated as a verbal noun.

I don't think so.  We know so little about law'/puS anyway that it's hard
to say anything, but I would not presume from that translation, when we
know that Okrand (like any good translator) translates things such that
they make sense in the target language.  You certainly can't presume that
parts of speech will be conserved!  Even when he's trying to show the
structure.

I actually considered this option, when we asked Okrand how to do law'/puS
with pronouns (e.g. I am bigger than you are).  One of the options we
presented to him (yes, he likes it when he's presented with possibilities.
He doesn't necessarily choose one of them, but he likes to see what we've
thought up) was that the verbs were implicitly nominalized, and that "I am
bigger than you" would thus be "*tInwIj law' tInlIj puS." Turns out this is
wrong; it's "jIH tIn law' SoH tIn puS."

IMO, they're still verbs (maybe adjectival ones) and should be conjoined
with 'ej, if at all.

>% I'm not sure you can refer to the first N in an N-N construction as the
>% head-noun of a relative clause ...
>  I.e. as in:- ?
>  qij targh Dub = the targ's back is black.
>  targh vIHoHpu' = I killed the targ.
>  qijbogh targh'e' Dub vIHoHpu' = I killed the targ whose back is black.

Right.  I don't think you can do that, from what Okrand said in his
interview in HolQeD.  Not without using two sentences.

>  Please where is a list of those CD-ROM words?
>  What does {bey'} mean exactly? It wasn't in the latest list of "words not in
>TKD" that I found on kli.org's WWW site.

It's in a recent HolQeD; I know charghwI' is working on incorporating them.

~mark

Back to archive top level