tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 06 03:31:54 1996

Re: Well. Formerly Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

Susan Farmer <[email protected]> writes:
\ I always assumed it was sort of a homophone (? correct word) pair.  I assume
\ the word means *both* kinds of spines and context tells you which one.

Oh, and since you asked: "homophone" refers to two words that sound alike,
but have different meanings, such as these: ^^ ^^^.   In English, the two
members of a homophone pair are always spelled differently.  If they're
spelled the same (such as the various meanings of "spine" that started this
thread), then it's not considered a case of homophony; it's considered
to be multiple meanings for a single word.  In Klingon, of course, the spelling
is completely phonetic, so that distinction is lost.  But this is decidedly
off-topic . . .

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed                     |
Email: [email protected]	         |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level