tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 06 03:28:29 1996

Re: Well. Formerly Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

Susan Farmer <[email protected]> writes:
\ I always assumed it was sort of a homophone (? correct word) pair.  I assume
\ the word means *both* kinds of spines and context tells you which one.

ghobe'!  Just because one word has two meanings in English, you cannot
assume that one word has both those meanings in any other language.
Imagine a Klingon student of English coming across the word "buy" for the first
time.  He looks it up in the E-K side of his trusty dictionary, and sees
that it means {je'}.  Then he walks into a Terran restaurant and says,
"Buy me!" . . .

We know that {pIp} in Klingon has at least one of the meanings of the English
word "spine", but we don't know which.  Which is why ~mark was kvetching about
one-word glosses.

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed                     |
Email: [email protected]	         |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level