tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 09:55:34 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

qaSDI' 96-08-03 11:31:49 EDT, jatlh Kenneth Traft:

> I believe the canonical example (or partial example) from Converstional
> Klingon would seem to lend the concept credence:
>  > Glen's reason for using <-Daq> comes from the reference in Conversation
>  > Klingon when they referenced to Kahless's spirit within you (I don't
have
>  > the exact quote sorry), The phrase "within you" was translated <SoHDaq>.

>  > Glen does not think they were refering to a physical space in this
instance.

SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj.

I don't see any reason why this couldn't be interpreted as a spacial
location.  Here I am, and Kahless' spirit is inside me.  I think the *whole
concept* may be non-spacial, but that the use of {-Daq} is spacial, if used
in a slightly poetic way.  Besides, this is one of those sayings which follow
"special grammatical rules," and is therefore already irregular.

What exactly does Glen think {-Daq} refers to in this sentence?

SuStel
Stardate 96590.5

Back to archive top level