tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 02 05:04:43 1996

qep'a' highlights

> From: "Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen"  <ur-valhalla!205.186.156.5!lawrence>
> Subject: qep'a' highlights
> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:12:23 -0700

> Dave Schaefer is right when he reminds the list of the mission of the
> KLI, and  the obvious correctness of tantalizing KLI chu'wI'pu' (as
> well as potential  members) with tales of the wild linguistic orgies
> that routinely took place at  the qep'a'.

There were "wild linguistic orgies" at the qep'a'?  Did I attend the right
convention?  <g>

> I'd like to encourage the 30+ attendees of the qep'a' to post to the
> list some  of their favorite "highlights" from the qep'a'.

The single event that left the most impression on me was actually three
related events.  These were our three attempts at singing {taHjaj wo'}... or
rather, our three successes.  Each time, I felt more comfortable, not just
with the song, but also with the language itself.  Saturday night, when
Krankor took us step-by-step through the lyrics and we made {taHjaj wo'} come
alive, I thought was wonderful... and I'm sure Krankor would agree.

I purchased one of Krankor's tapes, and my goal is to be able to sing the
{tlhegh wejDIch} from memory by next qep'a'!

I think perhaps we need more songs in Hol.  One of the oldest methods of
teaching is to turn the lesson into music - heck, just consider the number of
"Schoolhouse Rock" songs that popped up during our Encore game at the qep'a'!
We *remember* those songs.  The sections of {taHjaj wo'} I have memorized now
have greatly helped me with my understanding of some simple grammatical
points, as well as increased my vocabulary (the song is just too darn clever
when you understand it!)

I suggested to Krankor that the time might be right for additional verses to
{taHjaj wo'}, and he agreed (that the time is right, not necessarily that he'd
write more!)  I may not wait for him, though; I have some ideas... and as
those who saw my "Klingon Vocal Torture Songbook" know, my area is parody and
filk....

taHjaj wo'... 'ej taHjaj maH!

|                         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj                          |
|                    tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'                     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701  E-mail: [email protected] |

... Your life is forfeit. That was MY pop-tart!

Back to archive top level