tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 14:12:50 1996

Re: Using English or slang?

> From:          #GDP @ INTERNET (Consulat General de Pologne) {#[email protected]}
> To:            TLHINGAN @ INTERNET (Multiple recipients of list) {[email protected]}

> JorgeOrdaz Canales wrote:
>

> By courtesy - use English, not slang.

I assume you meant Standard English.  Slang is a viable and healthy
part of every language.  It is simply one of the many useful
socio-linguistic registers of any living language available to native
speakers of that language.  It should not be disparaged, but it
certainly should be avoided in a forum like this where we have
large numbers  of participants from non-native speaker backgrounds.
It should even be avoided out of concideration for the native
speakers of English who hail from other nations, since slang tends to
vary considerably from place to place, and even between different
groups in the same area.

Qapla'
mu'vaj