tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 11:50:58 1996

Re: iambic pentameter

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to [email protected]:
> >
> > >From Dr. Schoen's Hamlet Press Release:
> >
> > "The end result: a translation complete with rhyming iambic pentameter, but
> > in the original Klingon!"
> >
> > Could someone please explain exactly what iambic pentameter is?  I tried
> > looking it up in the dictionary, but that only led to a maze of other
> > definitions I had to look up.  I've known this phrase for years, but I have
> > yet to find out precicely what it means!  I understand only that it has to do
> > with whether syllables are long or short, and how they're arranged.
> >
> > SuStel
> > Hovjaj 96265.2
>
> Basically, it is text with the rhythmic sound of:
>
> taDUM taDUM taDUM taDUM taDUM
>
> Each line of verse has five pairs of syllables with the accent
> on the second syllable of each pair. A spontaneous example
> might be:
>
> I once had thought that nature loved a toad.
> It jumps, but then it splatters on the road.
> A crow will peel this remnant from the ground,
> Then swoop away, full-bellied, without sound.
>
> I love poetry. {{:)> 'IHqu' qar'a'?
>
> charghwI'
> --
>
>  \___
>  o_/ \
>  <\__,\
>   ">   | Get a grip.
>    `   |

Dear sir:
		I am requesting not to send further mail to thisaddress. It
seems that I left my address on school computer and someone sent
messages under my name.
		I apologize for the confusion and appreciate your cooperation

					Sincerely,

					Yutaka Meguro

Back to archive top level