tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 14:20:13 1995

Re: vIHadbogh Holmey

On Mon, 1 May 1995, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to Alan Anderson:
> >
> > > [...] ASL'e' je
> >
> > I don't know anybody who actually "speaks" ASL. :-)
> > (By the way, are you sure you mean "ASL" and not "Signed English"?)
>
> Now THERE'S a hearing-person bigoted remark/joke if I've ever
> read one. I've known deaf people who speak ASL. You don't have
> to use your mouth to speak, though that is the way most
> languages do it.
>
> I know a little signed English, myself, though I know that
> Holtej is fluent with it, as may be others here.

I'm more or less fluent with ASL.  It is a bona fide language, spoken
with the body (it's more than just the hands.  It incorporates facial
expressions in a way spoken languages do not, and it uses body language
to impart aspect to the signs).  ASL different from signed English, which
is nothing more than a manual coding system for English.  ASL is not English.

+Kirk Haines                          |My opinions are my own, not my        +
[email protected]           |employers                             +
+Systems' Analyst/Administrator       +--------------------------------------+
+Consultant -- ADIA Information Tech  |I am riding in the Colorado Courage   +
+              1050 17th ST STE 1460  |Classic, a 133 mile charity ride for  +
+              Denver, CO  80265-9909 |the Children's Hospital.  This is a   +
+-------------------------------------+three day ride from Lyons through     +
+Estes Park and back to Lyons.  If you want more information, or you would   +
+like to sponsor me with a pledge to the Children's Hospital, let me know.   +