tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 27 16:41:18 1995

Re: audio mail

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> Hmm.  The sound-bites on the web site are in SUN .au format, since that's
> far and away the most common format I saw on the web.  There's a program in
> ftp://ftp.kli.org/pub/Software/ called WHAM that plays .au files on PC's.
> Maybe that could be used?

i don't see many problems with using .au files instead of .wav files.
i would suggest placing files on the ftp site in both .au and .wav
formats, if possible.

the primary advantage to .wav formats is the ease-of-utilization for most
people.  at home, at least, most folks are going to have a PC (ibm or
mac), not a Sun.  a PC with windows is automatically set up to utilize --
and create, with the right hardware -- .wav format files.  using/creating
.au format files requires other software that may be more difficult for
PC owners to come by.

i think that, at this time, putting files on the ftp site in both
formats might be a good idea, if possible.  but if the folks creating
these files ought to record in whatever format they can; we can worry
about translating them into something else later.

> ~mark

--naQ'avwI'

*&* Silauren, Half-Elven    *&* J. Silauren Greene *&* There's only ONE god!
*&*  Only Hugh can prevent  *&*   <DaH HIHoH> 'e'  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&*      Florist Fryers.    *&*   DajatlhlaH'a'?   *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level