tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 10 07:22:24 1995

Song Translation

 uu> From: ur-valhalla!peabody.sct.ucarb.com!asewpo1 (Steve Weaver)
 uu> Subject: Song Translation

 uu> WOW.. I like that. I'm going to "Rush" right out and buy it  ;-). I
 uu> hope the Grammerians are kind to the translation. Nice work!

qatlho'.  I have a bad habit of trying to translate songs into Hol (witness my
attempts to translate "Bohemian Rhapsody" a while back).  This particular song
was loaded with Klingon sentiments; the only things that didn't translate well
were the monetary metaphors ("We will pay the pricve, but we will not count
the cost", which I felt was adequately represented by "We will fight the war,
but we will not count the bodies.")

God help me, but I found myself trying to translate "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
the other night.  I was foiled by the lack of a good verb for "hold", and the
fact that tlhIngan grammar ruined the flow of the song (the three repeated "I
wanna hold your hand"s were broken up by sentence-as-object constructions).

Qob

... email to: [email protected]

Back to archive top level