tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 08 02:56:51 1995

Re: A thought

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, William H. Martin wrote:
> According to Bill Willmerdinger:

> > muparHa' pagh; mumuS Hoch; gharghmey vISop 'e' qatlh vIruchQo'.

> Well, it is a question, yet it ends with a period.

sorry to nitpick, charghwI', but this is Klingon, after all.  stuff like
question marks, periods, commas, etc, are imposed by our own
punctuation.  in Klingon, all Okrand has said about questions indicates
to *me* that all you need is a question-word or <-'a'>.  ie, if i wrote
"qar'a'." instead of "qar'a'?", you should understand that i'm asking a
question.  i agree that adopting standard (basically) English punctuation
is good for easier reading, but the choice seems to be up to the
individual.  (or has Okrand specifically mentioned punctuation while my
back was turned??)

sorry if i'm babbling... felt it was a point to remember for some reason...

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&*  Only Hugh can prevent  *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&*      Florist Fryers.    *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level