tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 06 20:16:14 1995

Re: E Pluribus Unum

>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 19:01:32 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Christopher Dicely <[email protected]>

>On Sun, 5 Mar 1995 chargwI' wrote:

Whew!  Try to pare down quotations at least a little!

>> According to Christopher Dicely:

>> ..
>> >

>Not really, but is "qum law'" really "many governments"? While the
>meaning is clear, the grammar seems to me to be wrong.

>"law'" in your version seems to be an adjective but it can't be since
>tlhIngan Hol doesn't have them -- if its a verb, then qum has to be the
>subject so:

>"wa' qum moj law' qum"

>BUT this is just "? becomes one government.  Government is many"

>so, the "law'bogh", I think, is necessary.  I might be wrong.

You are, I'm afraid.  Read up on page 49, Section 4.4.  Verbs of state or
quality may be used after a noun adjectivally.  law'bogh qum *is* correct,
and the other way to say this, but so is qum law'.

>neH tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH

You mean, "tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH neH."  Remember, neH is an unusual
adverbial: it follows the verb or noun it trivializes.

~mark

Back to archive top level