tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 19:20:01 1995

Re: KLBC: E pluribus unum

>Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 14:16:43 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>>>ME: wa' law'choH moj

>>>WestphalWz: Look at the simple:

>>>WestphalWz: law'choH wa' [Doch]

>>>~mark:  OOf!  I like it.  I'm annoyed I didn't think of that myself.

>Looking back on my notes, I think I came close with "law'choHvo' wa'", but
>that was discarded early in my arguments with myself.

It's well you did.  I'm sure you thought along these lines:

What's the verb?  law', right?  OK.  What's this ?law'choHvo' word thingy?
Well, law' is a verb, ok... -choH is a verb suffix.  Great, so far so good!
But wait, -vo' is a *noun* suffix; that can't be.  The only time noun
suffixes can go on verbs is tgype 5 noun suffixes on verbs used
adjectivally, and this is obviously not an adjectival verb (it couldn't
have -choH on it then).  So this sentence must be ungrammatical.

You *did* realize that, right?  WestphalWz's sentence is far better.  Do
you see why?

~mark

Back to archive top level