tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 01 12:07:01 1995

KLBC: some sentences, 2

This is another attempt at sentence 3: "A pox on both (or, all) your houses."

   DujmeyrajDaq yIHmey tu'lu'jaj  (May there be tribbles in your ships)

   DujmeyrajDaq yIHmey botu'jaj  (May you find tribbles in your ships.)

Or maybe just revise the statement in Power Klingon?

   QuvrajDaq yIHmey tu'lu'jaj  (May your coordinates have tribbles.)

There is a line here between translating words and translating ideas and
concepts.  Yet, I am not surprised when someone says to me, "May your
coordinates be free of tribbles."  It was not necessary for the
Klingon expression to be translated, for example, "May your cupboards
be free of cockroaches."  How much liberty can we take in translating
the other direction, that is, from English to Klingon?  Where does
the line go?  Could I simply say

   Suropjaj

Qapla'

Back to archive top level