tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 13:47:53 1995

Re: This book I just got, part 2

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 15:12:07 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Jim Boniface)

>   on the 3rd page of the book, they say that the suffix "-mey" means
>"scattered all about"
>   Now, as everyone on the list is well aware, I am struggling to learn
>Klingon, so this may be something I have yet to learn, but the only suffix
>"-mey" I know of is the general plural use..

Well, it's *partly* true... (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing).
"-mey" is the pluralizer for general use (i.e. for things that aren't
sentient beings or body-parts).  However, it is correct to use it instead
of the sentient-being pluralizer "-pu'", and if you do, it carries a
meaning of "scattered all about" (using it in place of "-Du'" is poetic and
I won't talk about it here).  So "puqpu'" means "children", while "puqmey"
means "children all over the place."

It carries the same meaning when used to pluralize nouns that have
irregular plurals, such as "DoS"/target, whose plural is "ray'".  If you
say "DoSmey", you mean targets all over the place.

>  Should I cut out the cool pictures and throw the rest in the trash?

Can't say...

~mark

Back to archive top level