tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 28 10:13:27 1995

Re: yIwIv

Mark writes: [ re: using yIwIv for 'which' ]

> Responding to charghwI''s request for input regarding his use of yIwIv for
> "which"...

> I'm not so sure that it works in all cases, though.  I haven;'t got too
> many specific examples in mind, but it may not be sufficiently general, or
> it may also fall prey to being too idiomatic.  It may sound like I'm asking
> you to choose something when in fact you have no control over it at all,
> but are merely indicating a "choice" that may hev been made for you,
> perhaps confusing you...  For example, plans have been intercepted, and
> your captain asks, "choose the planets which the Terrans will attack."
> "You mean I get to decide?"  I suppose if you view "wIv" as more like
> "indicate" (le'moH?) it might be clearer.

I suspect that this kind "which" questions would best be phrased as a demand
for the hearer to somehow point out ( <cha'>, <'ang>, <SovmoH>, etc. ) the
thing(s) which meet the criteria. For example:

                yuqmey HIvrupbogh tera'ngan tIcha' !

    "Display the planets which the Terrans are prepared to attack !".

                 targhwIj HoHpu'bogh mang tISovmoH

    "Cause me to know the soldier which killed my targh !"

> This isn't to say that yIwIv is not a good answer to the "which" problem.
> But I tend to doubt it's the only one.  There's no reason why all cases of
> "which" should be handled by even remotely similar constructions in
> Klingon, just because they're the same in English.  yIwIv is one more tool.

L. Purple ([email protected])

Back to archive top level