tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 26 18:06:22 1995

Re: Hungry?

Mon, 26 Jun 1995, ghItlh majIq:

> Which do you think is better:
>
> 'oj jIH

Don't forget your verb prefixes.  This would be {jI'oy.}
You use {X jIH} when {X} is a noun.

> or  taS vIneH ?

To me {taS} sounds too much like a chemical term and this sentence may
not neccessarily mean you want it to drink.  You could be asking a
chemist for the bottle of acid.
I would say: jItlhutlh vIneH.  (I want to drink.)
Note that you don't need {'e'} for a sentence-as-object construction when
the main verb is {neH}  (Sec. 6.2.5.)

> and, in the same vein:
>
> ghung jIH  or  Soj vIneH ?

Likewise, I would either say {jIghung} (I'm hungry) or {jISop vIneH} (I
want to eat.)  I think either of these is equally okay to use.

> -majIq

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level