tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 23 06:29:56 1995

Re: That's my name, don't use it up.

According to Riku Anttila:

> > The "r" is supposedly a lingual trill (tho Okrand often uses a back sound),
> > which is what I can't really do.
>
> Is trilling an r indeed that difficult? I think learned to do it in the age
> of 3, but before that it always turned to an 'l' in my mouth. Imagine what
> it must have been like not being able to pronounce my own name.
>
> I recall someone complaining about the difficulty of {rgh} some time ago,
> too.

When I saw Okrand at Stellarcon 17, he began by talking about
how certain letter combinations were intentionally difficult. I
suggested {rgh}, since smoothly moving between a trill at the
tip of the tongue to the growling fricative at the base of the
tongue is no small trick. Okrand shook his head and said,
"That's easy." He then used a non-trill "r", which easily
preceeds the {gh} and spoke of how it is much more difficult to
pronounce {Dt} or {tD}.

While I agree that these are difficult, I think they are easy
next to {rgh} if you do indeed trill the {r}. Since Okrand
doesn't, I'm having a hard time bothering to try to do it
myself, especially since it is in MY name.

> Once I learned {gh}, I haven't had trouble with it - but perhaps I
> do it wrong. Differently from Okrand, anyhow.
>
> > ~mark
>
>  .:ghor:.

charrrrrrrghwI'
--