tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 22 06:03:16 1995

Re: "It was raining hard"

~mark wrote:
> Always dangerous to translate songs/poetry...

jIQochbe'qu'.  I agree emphatically.

Jim Boniface wrote:
> ...It's mainly that I don't know English worth a crap which is probably
> why I have such a tough time with tlhIngan Hol sentence structure, I can't
> pick out the different sections from an English sentence, more or less a
> Klingon one....

vaj vay''e' Damugh 'e' DanIDchugh pagh Data'laHlaw'.
~Jim mu'tlheghmey nap yIlo'.  mu'tlheghmey napqu' yIlo'.
yInlIj wanI'mey tIDel.  tlhIngan Hol Dayajchu'pa' bom yImughQo'.
'ach bom DamughlaHqu'chugh bom chu' DachenmoH 'e' vImaS.

In that case, translating ANYTHING is bound to be a fruitless exercise.
Seriously, Jim, fall back on simple sentences.  VERY simple ones.  Tell us
about things that are happening in your life.  Don't try to translate songs
until you find that you're nearly thinking in Klingon.  Even then, I'd be
happier if you created a NEW song instead of "copying" an existing one.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level