tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 21 05:55:19 1995

tlhIngan name for Elizabeth

"tlheghmeQ" wrote:
> tlheghmeQ vIwIv rIntaH... it's not too hard to pronounce...

That's funny.  Someone who speaks only English would probably have trouble
with the {tlh}, {gh}, and {Q} sounds, since they aren't normally found in
English words.  That leaves only a {m} and a couple of {e} sounds that truly
match something familiar.

> ...and it dosn't have any of those annoying glottal stops.

That's funny too.  "Elizabeth" commonly starts with a glottal stop, as do
"and", "it", "any", and about a zillion other words in American English; why
do you find them annoying?

As a "word", {tlheghmeQ} has some problems, but we routinely ignore both
grammar and phonology for names; and this is a GREAT name!  I like the image
it evokes.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level