tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 05:11:13 1995

Re: Glottal (and other) stops

Lawrence wrote:
> I'm not sure what dialect *you* are speaking, but my "K" is a velar stop,
> not a uvular one.

You're right, of course.  I originally was going to mention Klingon {q} as the
uvular stop, but when I couldn't really figure out what to call Klingon {D}, I
put only the English descriptions in my note.  But I cut out the wrong part of
a sentence and wound up saying something false.  I also meant but forgot to say
that the English glottal stop really exists (before almost all vowel-"initial"
words) but is seldom noticed.  However, I do notice it every time I have to
give my name over the telephone.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level