tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 03 16:46:32 1995

Re: What's wrong with "which"?

Sat, 27 May 1995, ghItlh charghwI':

> According to R.B Franklin:

> > tay yuQmeyvam nuq?  (Which of these planets is civilized?)
>
> This could be asking which portion of each planet is civilized,
> or which moon of the planets is civilized.

Your point is well taken.  I can see how this could be ambiguous, so let
me try a different approach.  What do you think of using {nuqDIch}?
If I were to ask {tay Hovtay'vam yuQ nuqDIch?} (Which planet of this
star system is civilized?), an acceptable response would be {yuQ wa'DIch},
{yuQ cha'DIch}, etc.

> > qama'pu'vam 'Iv wIHoH?  (Which of these prisoners should we kill?)
>
> You could be asking whether we should kill these prisoners'
> brothers or their fathers.

Likewise {ghomvam qama' nuqDIch wIHoHqang?}

nuq DaQub?

> charghwI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level