tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 01 06:52:28 1995

Re: {baH} vs {laQ}

jIH:       > lengbogh Dochmey bIH baHlu'bogh Dochmey'e'.
charghwI': > nuq?

"Things which are baHed are things which travel."  My point is that TKD
gives "torpedo, rocket, missile" as examples of objects for {baH}.  All
of these are projectiles.  Yes, I do believe that a {baHwI'} is one who
fires a projectile.  This limits my translation of {baH} to projectiles
and requires that I find other verbs for other weapons.

Meanwhile, TKD gives {laQ} = fire, energize (e.g., thrusters).  It says
"e.g." meaning "for example", and not "i.e." meaning "that is".  So one
doesn't HAVE to be talking about engines when one says {laQ}.  When I'm
talking about phasers, {laQ} seems to fit perfectly.  If I want to fire
a pistol, {laQ} applies; if I want to fire a bullet, {baH} applies.  Am
I making an obvious mistake here?  All of this seems completely logical
to me.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level