tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 30 19:35:45 1995

Re: Word for `English'

Roger Sorensen writes:

>Arden R. Smith had written, in part, in response to the question:
>What is the full proper name of THE Federation as in Star Trek stories?
>>
>> The full name is "The United Federation of Planets" (I'll leave it to the
>> more adept to come up with a Klingon translation of that).
>
>In TKD, Okrand supplies a translation which I think was " yuQjij DI'vI' "
>(I don't have my dictionary handy right now - sorry if I got it wrong). I
>remember it translating back to English as federation of cooperating
>planets.

Yes, the name is indeed translated in TKD;  I don't know why I didn't even
bother to reach for the book when I wrote that message.   The name is
rendered in the English-Klingon section as yuQjIjDIvI' but in the
Klingon-English section as yuQjIjQa'.  I don't suppose that that last
element is Qa' `type of animal' (The United Rhinoceros of Planets?  The
United Three-Toed Sloth of Planets?  The United Bunny-Rabbit of Planets?)
{{:-)

*       Arden R. Smith          [email protected]      *
*  "welaga nu, waltant got [quad Hiltibrant],  wewurt skihit."  *