tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 26 06:26:59 1995

Re: How to read Klingon

>Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:41:43 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>So'wI' chu'lu'Ha'

chu'Ha'lu'.   -Ha' has to come right after the verb.

>I had a dream last night about a recent thread on reading Klingon (Left to
>Right, Right to Left, Middle Out, etc). I thought about this: First line is
>read Left to Right then next line is read Right to left then next line L2R,
>etc.

><<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>Makes for rapid scanning of text for a warrior race, no?

That writing style is called boustrophedon (I mentioned it in my post), and
actually has been used for Terran languages (I believe very old Greek texts
have been found written in boustrophedon).  I've liked the idea of
boustrophedon, but the reason I suggested the various in-to-out methods is
because Michael Okuda (who designs the various screens on Star Trek) says
he tries to design Klingon from the center of the screen to the outside;
that's the feel he likes to elicit from Klingon writing (as opposed to
other languages "visual grammars", like Ferengi in 30-60-90 degree angles,
Binar in grids).  See the interview with Okuda in HolQeD 1:1.

~mark

Back to archive top level