tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 20 17:48:25 1995

Re: klingonische Woerter

On Fri, 20 Jan 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:
> qarbe'.  From time to time, I hear folks here say there are no canon
> examples of Klingon punctuation, such as commas.  This is not true.  Text on
> DS9 trading card #99 (1993 series), written by Okrand includes commas and
> an ellipsis.

The writing system we're using is an artificial system made to be easy
for humans to use.  We might as well use punctuation.  Okrand apparently
agrees as he has begun using punctuation in the Klingon Power Phrases
and the DS9 card.  pIqaD also has canon examples.  Though the KLI
character correlation is apocryphal, we have seen that Klingon writing is
done with no spaces and no immediately recognizable punctuation (though
some of those characters are not in our character set and may well be
punctuation).  Due to the simple pattern of the sentences and the canon
examples, I theorize that Klingon writing does not use spaces or
punctuation.  It usually makes it only slightly more difficult for
English speakers to read.

janSIy  }}:+D>

Back to archive top level