tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 19 00:57:11 1995

Re: easy sentences

> Note that your English contains no sense of perfective. It DOES
> contain past tense, but Klingon doesn't deal with tense except
> by context or time stamp, which you could think of as a
> temporal locative. Anyway, {-choH} indicates this change of
> state that you sound like you are seeking. Perhaps you like:
>
> matlhetlhqa'laHpa' nuQaHHa'choH SuS.
>
> Before we could progress again, the wind changed to hinder us.

I'm not sure that I made myself clear (sigh-)
I try to explain, what I wanted the suffixes to express:
-Ha'		a change from QaHlaH to QaHlaHbe'
-laH		well, "help" -> "helpful"
-pu'		the change indicated by -Ha'
		is completed. (I know the difference
		between tense and aspect - though
		I'm not to say I mastered it :-)

(I don't know what you mean by "time stamp")

> In HolQeD vol 2, number 4, Okrand stated that {muD} could be
> used to describe the weather.

like in DaHjaj QaQ muD?

> > However, I think I see now the major points, I
> > wanted to have made clear to me.
>
> Does this offer more?

I sure have a plethora of more questions to come.

> I've been rather assertive and
> confrontational in expressing my opinions lately. I hope this
> does not complicate the acceptance of valid points I intend to
> offer.

Not at all! I'm very glad to be able to talk things
over with you.

mu'tlhegh ngeDlaw' DIja'chuqmo' matay'taHvIS jIQuchqu'neS.
(Doesn't make much sense I suspect)

			Marc 'Doychlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany