tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 18 11:10:36 1995

Re: easy sentences

According to Marc Ruehlaender:

> Well, I really don't want to turn this into
> an endlessly ongoing thread, just want to make
> sure some minor points

> > > I wanted to say: "The winds turned unable to help."...
> Sorry. I should have emphasized "turned", i.e. a change of
> state from being favorable to not being so.

So, you wanted:

QaHHa'choH SuSmey.

Note that your English contains no sense of perfective. It DOES
contain past tense, but Klingon doesn't deal with tense except
by context or time stamp, which you could think of as a
temporal locative. Anyway, {-choH} indicates this change of
state that you sound like you are seeking. Perhaps you like:

matlhetlhqa'laHpa' nuQaHHa'choH SuS.

Before we could progress again, the wind changed to hinder us.

> I try again:
> 1. you go out on the hunt and _while_you're_at_it_,
>    the weather turns bad (not what I was going to
>    say)
> 2. you planned to go hunting, but _before_you_could_
>    leave_ the weather turned bad (that's what I
>    wanted to say)

bIwam 'e' Danab 'ach bItlheDlaHpa' qabchoH muD.

In HolQeD vol 2, number 4, Okrand stated that {muD} could be
used to describe the weather.

> However, I think I see now the major points, I
> wanted to have made clear to me.

Does this offer more? I've been rather assertive and
confrontational in expressing my opinions lately. I hope this
does not complicate the acceptance of valid points I intend to
offer.

> qatlho'qu'
> 			Marc 'Doychlangan'
>
> --
> Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
> Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \