tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 17 15:00:20 1995

Re: HolQeD 3.4. -wI'

According to David Barron:

> My main concern is with putting -wI' on stative verbs like / chISwI' / to
> mean "white person".
>
> Yes, Prochel is correct in saying that the list of Klingon affixes at the
> end of TKD says / -wI' / can mean "one who is."  But I would think this
> MIGHT be an oversight on Okrands part. *OR* it is an oversight that
> Okrand didnt mention it when describing / -wI' / in 4.1.9  and 3.2.2.
>
> Either way I want to be certain.

Well, it doesn't strike me as outstandingly wrong, but when
writing gets sprinkled with too much of this, as I have
certainly seen here on this list from time to time, it just
sounds incredibly awkward. It is yet another thing that often
results in someone translating from English to Klingon using
this device and then goes "Whew! That sure makes things easy!"
and someone else then trying to READ it and saying, "Whew! That
sure makes things hard!"

I think it is fine to use this sort of thing once every
thousand words or so, but when I see a two-screen post with
a dozen of them, I just want to go on to the next message.

> ~mark, charghwI' chay' bonoH?
>
>  > 		>tlhIngan Hol<
> > 		>//luq// ja' qembeltaS<

nuqjatlh? pong 'oH //qembeltaS//'e' qara'?

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \