tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 25 10:08:40 1995

Re: KLBC: another <-bogh> question

According to tsai kat clio-international:

> I've been trying to follow the thread on <-bogh>, but I'm still stuck on
> p. 64 of TKD where I find the following sentences:
>
>   qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh               I see the officer who hit him
>
>   yaS qIppu'bogh vIlegh               I see the officer whom he hit.
>
>   mulegh qIppu'bogh yaS.              The officer who hit him sees me.
>
>   mulegh yaS qIppu'bogh.              The officer whom he hit sees me.

In these examples, the issue is that when there is only one
explicit noun in a relative clause, it is the HEAD NOUN of that
clause. The head noun can be either the subject or object of
the relative clause. Got it?

> I put nouns in the place of pronouns and got the following:

Your problem is that with more than one noun (an explicit
subject AND object within the relative clause -- attached to
the verb with {-bogh}) you can't tell which noun is the head
noun.

Once upon a time, there was a fine Klingon Captain named
Krankor. He started this list. He was the first Grammarian. He
was one of the greatest Klingon orators that Earth has ever
known. His articles appear in HolQeD to this day, though long
ago, his presence here ended when he got a job that ate his
life. It is rumored that he is fighting his way back from the
afterlife and that we will hear from him again soon, though
some of us expect to see Kahless return first.

Anyway, Krankor came up with the idea of using the Type 5 noun
suffix {-'e'} to indicate the head noun in exactly these
circumstances. He discussed it with Okrand. Okrand approved the
idea and it has since become the law of the land. Hence, the
solution to your examples:

>   loD qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh.        I see the officer who hit the man.

loD qIppu'bogh yaS'e' vIlegh.

>   yaS qIppu'bogh loD vIlegh.        I see the officer whom the man hit.

yaS'e' qIppu'bogh loD vIlegh.

>   mulegh loD qIppu'bogh yaS.        The officer who hit the man sees me.

mulegh loD qIppu'bogh yaS'e'.

>   mulegh yaS qIppu'bogh loD.        The officer whom the man hit sees me.

mulegh yaS'e' qIppu'bogh loD.

Do not confuse this with the error made by the other suggestion
to you by one who confused the pronoun {'e'} for the suffix
{-'e'}. Onward to THAT message...

> Qapla'
> rIn
>   //