tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 24 13:58:31 1995

Re: po'

>And though this may seem an overstatement when my skills are compared to
>those of many others on this list, it does seem to provide authoritative
support
>for the use of {po'} as a noun.  I mean, it could be clipped Klingon for
>something like {tlhIngan Hol Dapo'}, assuming {po'} takes a direct object
and
>means "to be expert in" in that case, but I think that's stretching it.

"Authoritative?!" Please understand that the man simply does not know the
language. He has admitted to that. He does not devote the time to have any
considerable level of proficiency when he is more than an arm's length from
TKD.

I recognize the dependence we have on Okrand as an arbitrary canonical
source, but the reasoning that he is a master of sorts in the Klingon
language is false and would lead to numerous problems in trying to sort out
the many erroneous pieces of tlh.Hol that he infrequently lets out.

If he sits down and devises some new grammatical form or vocab, or writes out
an explanation or clarification of some aspect of the language, then it falls
in with canon, but a few words scratched onto one TKD on the spur of the
moment does not.

That's the only way one can be sure one's using real Klingon.

>-marqoS

Guido

Back to archive top level