tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 24 08:19:45 1995

Re: <none>

>Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:34:42 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to [email protected]:
>> Also, am I right in thinking that
>> bangoypu' = means luvvies (from: Dame Edna Everage).

>I think you are on target. I think Krankor or ~mark would
>express it as "lovikins".

Pretty much, tho note that it is undeniably plural; I wouldn't call a
single person that.

>> Hmm, I don't know how the hell you lot managed to learn it so well, I mean,
>> I speak French and German quite good but Klingon - its totally illogical to
>> me. Oh well, I guess persistance is the key?? :/

>It was MEANT to be illogical, particularly when compared to
>European languages (or any other language that the average Star
>Trek viewer is likely to know about). The point is that it is
>supposed to be a langauge for ALIENS, right? Meanwhile,
>linguists here have complained that it is not weird enough.

I dunno, it seems a whole hell of a lot more regular than French or German
to me...

>> Qapla'
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> PS. Will someone tell me how pabpo'mey means gramarians? All I can figure
>>      is the  pab(grammer) part, po'(?  seems to be either a noun or a nous
>>      suffix but I can't find it in the dictionary) and I am presuming that
>>      mey still means general plural

>Hmmm. In my tattered, oldest copy of TKD, I had penciled in
>"also noun" after the verb {po'}, but when I looked it up in my
>personally compiled word list, where I annotate the source of
>every word I find, I see no such entry. Of course, I've updated
>that word list a lot since this printing...

>Anybody got a good answer to this?

I believe the answer is that we cheated.  It's one of those words we should
not have made, but someone did and it became too entrenched in usage to
root out fully.  It probably ought to have been pabpo'wI'pu' (or pab
po'wI'pu') but I think someone was a bit careless.  Happens.

>> PPS. If targh means the noun Targ - what type of thing IS Targ in the
>>      first place? yoDtargh - the shield's targ(????)

>A targ is the social equivalent to a dog. Add fangs, slime and
>an attitude and you have the ideal Klingon pet.

yoDtargh is simply what that person opts to call himself.  Lots of names
don't have much meaning in the vernacular.

~mark

Back to archive top level