tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 15 22:28:47 1995

Re: KLBC: Another load of tribble....

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to toDbaj, AberdeenDaq tlhIngan:

> > pIj yIH nay'mey DaSamlaHbe' Qe'meyDaq Suchbogh
> > tera'nganpu'.
>
> I want to look at this sentence again, since last time I left
> off the last word. Considering that, we still have problems.
> You are trying to say, "In restaurants where humans visit,
> you often cannot locate tribble dishes." First, I'd recommend
> the verb {tu'} instead of {Sam}, since the former relates more
> directly to successfully finding something ("discover, find,
> observe, notice") while the latter relates more to the process
> of searching ("locate, seek and find"). I tend to think of
> {Sam} as the union of {tu'} and {nej}, and while you can
> certainly {nej} for tribbles, you cannot {tu'} them in these
> restaurants, so the use of {tu'} seems to better focus on the
> part of {Sam} that you cannot do.
>
> Meanwhile this whole phrase {Qe'meyDaq Suchbogh tera'nganpu'}
> doesn't work. I've never seen any example of a relative clause
> that had a head noun that was not the subject or object of the
> verb with {-bogh}. You are trying to assign a locative as the
> head noun of a relative clause. I can find no grammatical
> justification for it. If it WERE justifiable (and I don't think
> it is), then it would have to go where the head noun belongs in
> the main sentence -- at the beginning -- because it is acting
> as the locative for the main verb. Then, we would have problems
> disambiguating the head noun, since we can't mark it with
> {-'e'} because it already has the Type 5 suffix {-Daq}.

When I was a beginner, the first sentence I ever wrote in Klingon
contained a locative suffix on the head noun of a relative clause.
The BG at the time said you couldn't do that, but Captain Krankor, the List
Grammarian, came to my defense and said it was okay.

This is what HoD Qanqor said:

A {-bogh} phrase is a noun phrase, but the whole phrase is acting as the
locative for the whole sentence.

If you can say:  yeqQo'bogh yuQvetlh = the planet that refuses to cooperate.

Then you can certainly say:
	yeqQo'bogh yuQvetlhvo' ghoS Duy''a'qoq chu'.
	"The new 'ambassador' <spit> comes from a planet that won't
	cooperate."

Some more examples:

yaS qIppu'bogh HoDvaD tajvam yInob.
"Give this knife to the captain who hit the officer."

yaSvaD qIppu'bogh HoD tajvam yInob.
"Give this knife to the officer whom the captain hit."

juHDaq chenmoHpu'bogh Jack jIyIn.
"I live in the house which Jack built."
---

Also, I found one canon example of a locative on the head noun
of a relative clause on DS9 trading card #99:

loS...qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
retlhDaq 'oHtaH.
"It waits...on the edge of the galaxy, it remains next to a route which
they come to in order to travel to unknown regions of the universe."

In this rather complicated sentence, the relative clause, {'u' SepmeyDaq
Sovbe'lu'bogh}, acts as the locative for the verb of the purpose clause
{lenglu'meH}.  Also, although the {-Daq} isn't attached to the head noun
of {He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq}, it is an interesting example of a locative
noun-noun/relative clause.

Back to toDbaj's sentence, the main correction I would make is to put the
locative at the beginning of the sentence.  Using charghwI''s
suggestion to replace {Sam} with {tu'}, I would say:

Qe'meyDaq Suchbogh tera'nganpu', pIj yIH nay'mey Datu'laHbe'.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level