tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 15 11:56:37 1995

Re: petaQneS ;-)

>Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 10:39:33 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>petaQnes *charghwI'* (Should have been petaQneS, {HIvqa' veqlargh}. I typed
>"S" but it came out "s". ;-) ) was trying to say "*charghwI'*, you're being
>wierd (respectfully)". One should always be respectful of ones "elders"
>(meant in the non-age related sense).

Ah, but "petaQneS" doesn't mean "your honor, you are weird."  It means "All
of your honors, be weird!"  It's a command to more than one person.  To
indicate that one person is doing something with no object in second
person, use "bI-".  Check that prefix-table! :)

>>"qaStaHvIS wa' jaj neH chenbe' *Rome*."

>I think the problem (OK, OK ...ONE of the problems) I have is the verb
>"taH", I guess I reallllly don't understand the meaning of "be at a neg.
>angle". When I see it in a correct sentence it all makes sense.

Uuuuuuuh, I didn't mean "be at a negative angle".  "qaStaHvIS" is the verb
"qaS" followed by the *suffix* "-taH" followed by the suffix "-vIS".  If
you consider the taH to be the verb taH (meaning either "continue" or "be
at a negative angle"), how to you explain the "qaS" before it?

>*s i g h*, I think it's time I started the postal course (YOU have been
>warned!).

Probably a good move.

~mark

Back to archive top level