tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 13 14:30:32 1995

Re: KLBC: Another load of tribble....

According to toDbaj, AberdeenDaq tlhIngan:

> nuqneH!
>
> I hope that this translation attempt of mine isn't too much tribble to
> unscramble.....the English original is on my WWW page, or direct to:
> http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~u06rmm/yIHmey.html
>
> The Klingon view of:
> yIHmey!
> -=-=-=-
>
>    HIvIt, qatlh Ha'DIbaHmey mach parHa' tera'nganpu' QoQmey nuQmoH
> lIngbogh.

I was initially enthusiastic with the beginning of this
sentence, enjoying the chosen topic and the apparent
perspective, but the sentence crashes and burns before the end.
If you put a period after {tera'nganpu'} it makes perfect sense:

"Tell me the truth. Why do Terrans like little animals?"

Then comes total gibberish. Is "musics" possessed by "Terrans"
and the subject of "like" or is it the object of "causes to
annoy"?  These two verbs have no reason to be in the same
sentence, unless "causes to annoy" is mistakenly thought to be
capable of being used adjectivally. So far as we know, {-moH}
is not an acceptable suffix on a verb used adjectivally. And
what is {lingbogh} doing there?

Okay, here's a wild guess as to what you were trying to say:

"Tell me the truth. Why do Terrans, who produce annoying music,
like small animals?" My first problem here is that the verb
"produce" is part of a nonrestrictive relative clause, and to
be honest, I'm not sure Klingon supports nonrestrictive
relative clauses. All the examples of relative clauses in TKD
are restrictive.

By this, I mean that you are saying "who produce anoying music"
as a parenthetical remark. You are not specifying the Terrans
of which you are speaking. There are not some Terrans who do
not produce anoying music and you are restricting your
reference to those who do. They ALL produce annoying music, so
your reference does not really tell us anything and has little
function in a Klingon sentence except to obfuscate.

>"'IH yIHmey" Qub tera'nganpu.

I doubt that {Qub} qualifies as a verb of speaking. Try:

'IH yIHmey 'e' Har tera'nganpu'.

While I am really enjoying the point of your story, I must be
equally critical of the following for the same reason, and
would prescribe similar solutions:

> qatlh 'IH? "'IH jIlwI' targh"
> vIQub, 'ach 'oH luQubbe'.

qaQochbe'. 'IHqu' jIlwI' targh 'e' vIHar. chaq jIlwI' targh 'IH
law' jIllI' targh 'IH puS. jISovbe'.

>    "Tribbles" Dochmey machqu' pong.....'IH Ha'DIbaH nuq, nachHey
> ghajbe'bogh 'ej vay'Hey ghajbe'bogh? SoHDaq vay' chagh Dop nuq 'e'
> DaSovbe' - chaq yIH.

I get the feel of what you are saying, but I'm having a really
hard time putting these good fragments into whole-sounding
sentences. It just doesn't stick together.

>    'IH Ha'DIbaH nuq, yIHmey law'qu' boghmoHbogh Ha'DIbaH, nom jonta'pa'
> luteb, 'ej neH Sop 'ej QoQmey nuQmoH lIng?

Again, you have a lot of nice phrases here. They just don't add
up to be a sentence. Again, {nuQmoH} is not an adjective.

>     'ach yIHmey vutlaH vay'.

pov qechvam.

> pIj yIH nay'mey DaSamlaHbe' Qe'meyDaq Suchbogh

Good statement hideously expressed. Locatives come first in a
Klingon sentence. The use of second person where indefinite
subject is intended is idiomatic to English. {Suchbogh} doesn't
really work here. Compare to:

Qe' Suchlu'DI' pIj yIHmey nay' SamlaHbe' vay'.

I'm not wild about that. I think it would be better to speak
directly to experience:

Qe'mey law'Daq pIj yIHmey nay' vISamlaHbe' va!

Oops. I see I missed a word.

> tera'nganpu'.

Oh well. DaH jIjaHnIS. tugh vItaHqa'. (Don't think about that
one too much...)

> yIHmey Surghbe' machqu'mo' 'ej taj DaruQ nuqDaq 'e' DaSovbe'.
> yIH DaSamchugh yInbogh, chuSqu'. 'ach roqegh 'IwchabvaD nay' 'oH yIH'e'.
>
>     nuHmey QaQ bIH yIHmey'e'. chegh gholpu' puSqu' chaHvaD yIHmey law'
> DInob......
>
>     'ach DaH HoHnIS yIHmey. cha' DIS yIH HoHwI' lu'ogh tejma'. qaS nuq?
> 'oH nIH tera'ngan. wejpuH. vaj maHvaD 'uy' yIHmey nob Kirk (taHqeq!).
> 'e'vaD chaH muStaH HoD qolotlh.
>
>     chaq SaD yIHmey DIboS 'ej USS Enterprise-vaD DInob??
>

> Well....somebody had to do it :)
>
> Qapla'
>
> -- toDbaj
> |    $$$$$    ,$$$$$                         ,$$$$$   $   |
> |   $$$$     ,$$         $       ,$$$$$     ,$$        $  |
> |  $$$$      $$         $$$$$    $$$  $$    $$        $$  |
> | $$$$      ,$$        $   $$   ,$$        ,$$        $   |
>             http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~u06rmm/

charghwI'
--

 \___