tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 07 20:02:39 1995

Re: TLHINGAN-HOL digest 103

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Christopher Dicely wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Feb 1995 [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 9:51:57 EST
> > From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: Multiple subordinate or Relative Clauses
> >
> > According to Christopher M. Dicely:
> > >
> > > How do you construct a sequence of subordinate or relative clauses in
> > > tlhIngan Hol, or is there
> > > even a way to do this?  Specifically, I was trying to translate the preamble
> > > to the US Constitution,
> > > and the US Declaration of Independence, and in both ran into what seemed to
> > > be a nasty situation...
> >
> > There is no easy way to handle this, except to take Okrand at
> > his word when he explained that often a single sentence in
> > English would be translated into more than one sentence in
> > Klingon. He was specifically speaking on "sentence as object"
> > constructions, but I have long felt that this should be true
> > for such pompous and rambling works as you have described.
>
> The problem is that the you end up with an enormously awkward
> and tediously repetitive structure if (in the case of the
> preamble) you take a sentence that says "In order to do A,B,C,D,
> and E, we do X and Y to Z" and turn it into:
> 	In order to do A we do X to Z and we do Y to Z
> 	In order to do B we do X to Z and we do Y to Z
> 		etc.
>
> I was hoping there would be someway around that that was valid in
> tlhIngan Hol as there have (apparently) been some Okrand extensions
> since TKD...

I think the type of sentence structure you may find helpful is found on
DS9 trading card #99 (1993 series):  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH
lojmet Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.

I think a similar structure of successive purpose clauses would be
useful in translating the Preamble of the U.S. Constitution.

DIvI' pup wIchenmoHmeH, ruv wIchermeH, juHmajDaq roj DIch wItaHmoHtaHmeH,
Hoch Hub wIchaw'taHmeH, cheptaH Hoch 'e' wItaHmoHmeH, maHvaD puqpu'majvaD
je tlhab Do'taHghach wIpoltaHmeH, ghItlh'a'vam mub wIcher rIntaH America
jIjchuqbogh qo'Hommey ghotpu' maHbogh maH'e'.

tunaDHa'pa', SaghuHmoH:  batlhwIj yInwIj je vIlo'taHvIS ghItlh'a'vam vIHubmeH
vI'Ip rIntaH.

> Chris

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level