tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 07 12:34:16 1995

Re: bIQaghbejlI' *yoDtargh*

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Steve Weaver wrote:

> charghwI' says ("love my good-n-plenty...." sorry, I'm in one of THOSE
> moods again. ;-) ):
>
> >According to Steve Weaver:

> >>            qayajchu'
> >>     bIQaghbejlI' *yoDtargh*
> >>      DoS chImlaw' boQeq
> >
> >yoDtargh has become plural?
> >
> >> HolQeDvaD *spoonerism* vIbuSqu'taH
> >>            vInIDbej
> >

> But I thought that the  "bIQaghbejlI' *yoDtargh*" {*yoDtargh*, You are
> certainly in the progress of making a mistake. You are aiming at an empty
> target.} was singular. How is this plural ? I thought {bI-} was "You (no
> object)" ?

*yoDtargh* maH, malaw'mo'.  {{;-)

> And I thought I had finally constructed a perfeckt Klingon response too ...
> *sniff* *sniff* :.-(
>
> Oh, well back to the drawing board. Will someone correct my grammer please?
> (or my gramper). Thanks

The second line is okay.  It's the third line where you messed up.

1. If you use {chIm} as an adjective, then you can't add {-law'}; the only
suffixes you can add to it are {-qu'} and {-be'}.  You can easily get around
that by using a {-bogh} construction:
{chImlaw'bogh DoS} (a target which is apparently empty)

2. The verb prefix {bo-} indicates a plural subject.

3.  Since you want to aim AT the target, and not aim the target itself,
you'll need to add {-Daq} or {-vaD}.  Since the sentence doesn't have a
direct object, you would use the verb prefix {bI-}.

chImlaw'bogh DoSDaq bIQeq.

> vIta'pu'be' !!!    <- tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
> Steve Weaver     [email protected]

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level