tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 07 06:43:59 1995

Re: grip, grasp, hold

According to R.B Franklin:

> qaStaHvIS Mon, 6 Feb 1995, ghItlh David Barron:
>
> > hmm...that seems to do it ,now how would I say "the prisoner grabbed the
> > knife by the blade."
> >  taj HeH ghaj qama ghopDaq.
> > Something like that i guess...
>
> I read that as "in the hand of the prisoner (he) has the blade of the
> knife."  Somehow the concept of "grab" got lost in translation.  {ghaj} just
> doesn't convey the idea of suddenly seizing and grasping something.
>
> Perhaps:  pay' SIch qama' 'ej taj HeHDaq ghopDaj QeychoHmoH.

I think this is well considered. This is the kind of thinking
it takes to stretch the language to speak well a thought it is
not initially well equipped to express. You might also consider
verbs like {jon} or {tlhap}. I was somewhat concerned that
"take the knife's edge in his hand" might be too close to the
idiom "take a bullet in the arm". Still, my addition to the
pile of ways to say this:

pay' wa' ghopDaq taj HeH jon qama.

> yoDtargh

charghwI'