tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 02 08:21:15 1995

Re: Klingon Karaoke (ugh!)

According to Niall Hosking:

> I just got hold of the British music magazine "Vox". It has a series of
> articles about Star Trek (Generations opens here in the next week or
> so). On p.21, it has some bits of song 'translated' into Klingon, by
> someone named Alexander T. Greene. I will give you a copy of what he has
> written. I don't know most of the songs - I guess they  are mostly
> fairly recent.

This REALLY IS BAD.

"The @#$% finished week's night"

> 'Saturday Night, I feel the air is getting hot'
> {hogh rIn ram SoH rur tujchoHlaw' muD}

Three main verbs with no grammatical reason to coexist in one
sentence. Amazing. "The atmosphere apparently becomes hot. It
resembles the finished week's night's you." Actually, I'm being
charitable. The Klingon is far less meaningful than this.

> 'Like you baby'
> {bangoy}
>
> 'I'll make you mine you know'
> {SoH qaaghajchoHmoH 'e' DaSov}

"You know that I cause you to begin to have you." Note, {-moH}
on transitive verb. So far as we know, this is not legal.

> 'I'll take you to the top'
> {SalvuSDaq qatlhej}

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
Find Alexander T. Greene. Inform him that he is to never
translate anything into Klingon again under threat of serious
harm to both himself and any relations deemed to be genetically
similar enough to be tempted to repeat such an offense to the
Klingon Empire.

> ********************
> I have tidied this up only a little - only obvious mistakes in the
> magazine. I take *no* responsibility for the songs. I am just curious to
> see what everyone makes of the translation.

'urmang.

> Enjoy!

Not exactly the verb I would have chosen.

> {qSeroHS veyn}
> --
> Niall Hosking

charghwI'