tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 02 05:42:23 1995

Re: Boustrophedon, Futhark

[email protected] (Arden R. Smith) Wrote:

>Anthony Appleyard writes:
>
>>The futhark is the Germanic runic alphabet. It was always written left to
>>right as far as I know.
>
>Actually, a large proportion of runic inscriptions are written right to
>left (almost half of the inscriptions in the Elder Futhark are), and a
>substantial number are in boustrophedon, including that found on the Tune
>Stone (0stfold, Norway, ca. 400 A.D.), one of the longest inscriptions in
>the Elder Futhark.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Did I remember to THANK YOU??
For a while there I thought I was going nuts!! I thought I remembered
something like that which is what got me reading about boustrophedon years
ago in the first place. Please E-mail me with any info source you have so I
can scrounge for myself and add to my library.

vIta'pu'be' !!!    <- tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver     [email protected]

Back to archive top level