tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 29 00:52:56 1995

Re: }} Quimby translation

Matt Treyvaud asks:
>What would be the best way to say 'Look at this, everyone! Twelve dead
>snakes!'?
> The best I can do is
>Dochvam yItu'! wa'maH cha' gharghmey Heghpu'!

"Observe this thing!  [something] has died twelve snakes!"
The word order is a bit off, but it's close.

> And I'm not sure how to address 'everyone.' Do I just use {Hoch} where a
>name would normally go?

Since the imperative prefix {yI-} is ambiguous about number when an object
is involved, I'd rephrase it to eliminate the object:
"You all, pay attention!  Observe these twelve snakes which have died."

peqIm!  Heghpu'bogh wa'maH cha' gharghmey yItu'!