tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 23 23:37:26 1995

Re: }} KLBC: wamwI'

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Marc Ruehlaender wrote:

> here's another sentence:
>
> pemHovvaD vanDaj nobpu'DI' Dechbogh puH ghoSchoH
> 	Ha'DIbaH wamlu'bogh SamlI'meH

Only one small error that I can detect.  Purpose clauses with {-meH}
always preceed the noun or main verb whose purpose they are describing.
(Sec. 6.2.4.)

Since your hunter is setting off into the countryside for the purpose of
finding game, the sentence order would be:

pemHovvaD vanDaj nobpu'DI', HaDI'baH wamlu'bogh SamlI'meH Dechbogh puH
ghoSchoH.

> After he gives his tribute to the sun, he wanders off
> into the surrounding country to look for game.

Note that Klingon does have a word for countryside {Hatlh}.
I don't really know what the differency between {Hatlh} and {puH} is but
if I were to hazard a guess, I suspect {Hatlh} may refer to a rural
area of land and {puH} may be a more generic term.

> ***
> as soon as he has given his tribute to daytime-star,
> he starts to go into the land which surrounds
> in order to locate animals which one hunts
>
> (ghoS is listed as 'go away from' [amongst others],
> do I need to add naDevvo'?, do I need to add -Daq
> to the destination with this meaning?)

If you use {ghoS} to mean "to approach" you don't need {-Daq}.  (TKD p. 28)
But if you use {ghoS} to mean "go away from", then I would use {-vo'}.

Examples:
HIghoS.  	  (Come here!)   TKD p. 171
naDevvo' yIghoS.  (Go away!)	 TKD p. 172

As a semantic note, all of the canon examples of {ghoS} that I can think of
seem to carry the meaning going "toward" or "away from" but not
necessarily "into" or "out of" something.  In your example, {Dechbogh
puH ghoSchoH}, I translate that as meaning the hunter is going -towards-
the surrounding land.  If your hunter is going -into- the surrounding
countryside, I would use a different verb.  E.g. {Dechbogh HatlhDaq
leng}.  If the hunter is already in the countryside and is wandering
about, I would use {HatlhDaq leng}.  {-Daq} seems better suited to
express the concept of "into" or "within".

> 			Marc 'Dochlangan'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level