tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 11 13:40:30 1995

Re: }} cd-rom

>> Lawrence, What do you know about this CD-ROM?

Not much more than I've already posted here.  Back in January I spoke briefly
with one of the producers of the CD, making her aware of the KLI's existence,
and offering unlimited assistance. In March I chatted a bit with one of the
authors of the storyline for the project (the produce had told him I'd be at
a convention in NY and he found me there).  I've spoken with Marc Okrand
about the project and know that he has had input into the process.  I think
most everyone knows that Johnathan Frakes directed the live action scense for
the CD.  And that's about it.

Over the last two weeks I have put in several calls to the producer, but no
answer, lots of messages, and no replies.

My hope is that the mangled Klingon on their web page (and in their promotion
flyers as well) is an attempt to transcribe Klingon terms in English.  That
covers some of the errors, and even makes sense, since we have the tradition
of marking Klingon text in boldface when in the context of English text.
 That's always been my take on the mangled Klingon in Okuda's encyclopedia
too, an English approximation.

Given Okrand's involvement, we can only hope that the actual contents of the
CD is better.

Btw, I was on the phone with a rep from Simon & Schuster earlier in the week
and they are sending me a copy of the new Star Trek Omnipedia, which should
be available in stores in a week or so.  Cool!

Qapla'

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::

Back to archive top level