tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 00:21:59 1995

Re: }} KLBC

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> I looked in TKD and discovered that {Dat} indeed is listed as a noun.  I
> still have the feeling that it is used the way Klingon adverbs of time and
> location are used, e.g. {nom}, {tugh}, {not}, {reH}, {loQ}, and especially
> {pa'}.  I sure would like to get the experts' opinions and comments on this
> one.

{Dat}, {naDev} and {pa'} are nouns which do not require the locative
suffix {-Daq}.  (See p. 27)  They are not adverbials, in that they don't
describe the manner of the activity described by the verb.

You can grammatically insert {Dat}, {naDev} & {pa'} in places where you
could not put an adverbial.

Thus you can say:
Dat bIH yIHmey'e'.  (Tribbles are everywhere.)
pa' bIH yIHmey'e'.  (The tribbles are over there.)

But I don't think you can say:
reH bIH yIHmey'e'.  (The tribbles are always.)
pIj bIH yIHmey'e'.  (The tribbles are often.)

> peHruS

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level